Charter for Sustainability for Whale Watching
It is a voluntary commitment of whale and dolphin watching boat excursion companies. With respect to cetaceans and the environment. Also while offering a significant and transformative tourist experience for the client.
The principles on which this commitment is inspired are five:
- Transmit significant and transformative experiences.
- A tourist product must live up to the exceptional value of this unique environment.
- Take care of the environment, the sea and the local community.
- Comply with all current regulations.
- Transparency, commitment and continuous search for the improvement of the sector.
Members of the Sustainability Charter of Whale Watching.
These companies are evaluated every year to renew their commitment. With the year 2025 as a horizon, Tenerife has set itself the objective of becoming a reference for other places in the world. Above all as a tourist space that takes care of the home of cetaceans. That offers a significant, respectful and high added value activity.
Method of Summary of Commitments of Affiliated Companies to Sustainability Charter for Whale Watching.
ALL COMPANIES MUST COMPLY WITH ALL THESE POINTS. THEREFORE TO BE GRANTED WITH THE CHARTER FOR SUSTAINABILITY OF WHALE AND DOLPHIN WATCHING.
Assessment & Probability:
- Assessment of significant and transformative experience by customers.
- Probability of recommendation to a friend by customers.
- Interpreter of the marine environment accredited by Tenerife Tourism.
- Training in the manual of good practices of all its public service personnel, vendors and other personnel of the vessels it owns.
- Boat cleanliness.
- Crew: an adequate level of cleanliness, uniform and visible identification.
- The company provides complete information about its products and about the Charter for Sustainability.
- Active on different channels of social networks.
- The company provides complete information on each service.
- Assistance to activities linked to the Charter organized by Tenerife Tourism.
- Cancellation policy.
- Respectful animal approach.
- Sound impact on the environment. Both in reference to cetaceans and in relation to birds, protected animals and other possible activities that are being carried out in the environment.
- Selective waste management on board.
- Selective waste management in their offices.
- Disposable plastics or other non-biodegradable materials during excursions.
- Products of local origin in food and drinks served on board.
- Cleaning products with European Eco-label certification or equivalent.
- Environmental dissemination actions to raise awareness of the local population.
- Collaboration with research projects and/or conservation.
- Collection of waste in the marine environment during excursions.
- In rule all legal aspects established at the environmental, navigation, labor, economic and fiscal levels in all its vessels.
- Compliance with all the commitments of the Charter for Sustainability in all its vessels.
- Annual accountability questionnaire.
- Internal assessment of the company’s human team regarding compliance with the Charter’s commitments.
ALL YEAR (RESIDENTS)
Short Finned Pilot Whale
ALL YEAR (SPORADIC)
Atlantic Spotted Dolphin
Rough Toothed Dolphin
SOME SEASONS (MIGRATORY)
False Killer Whale
Orca or Killer Whale
Blainvilles’s Beaked Whale